The Christ of Christmas
Sermon title: The Christ of Christmas
Sermon Date: December 4, 2016
In a Gallup Poll some time ago when asked the question who is Jesus 8 of 10 Americans say He is God or the Son of God. But when examined further only half of those people Jesus was divine only in the sense He was uniquely called by God to called by God to reveal God's purpose in the world.
- His Being is Self-Existent
- He is God of very God
John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word and the Word was God.
Hebrews 7:3 He is without father or mother or genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever.
- He is the Creator
Colossians 1: 16-17 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
- He is the Sustainer of Life
Acts 17::28 “‘In him we live and move and have our being’
- His Birth was Super Natural
- We are all represented by one of two men: Adam or Jesus. 1 Corinthians 15:22
- Because of his virgin birth makes Jesus the only one qualified to die for our sins. Luke 2:10.
- We have at Bethlehem a trinitarian event. The Father assigns the Son a body, the Spirit assembles the body, and the Son assumes the body
- Apart from the virgin birth there is no hope for salvation.
- The world is coming to Jesus, one way or another
- His Life was Sinless
- Our sin debt had to be paid for with a perfect blood sacrifice
Romans 6:23, Hebrews 9:22
- Jesus’ sinlessness paved the way for sinners to become righteous
- Cor 5:21
- His Death was Sacrificial and Substitutionary
We need our eyes opened regularity to the ugliness of sin so that gospel will be seen for what it is,,,,a gift.
- The suffering Passion on the cross 1 Peter 3:18, Luke 22:41-44
- The Satisfying Provision of the cross Colossians 2:14
- The Saving Power of the Cross
- His Resurrection was Spectacular
- Death is a fact, death is a foe but death is a defeated foe I Cor 15:20-26
- Jesus death on the cross broke the sin’s penalty—God’s wrath
- Jesus resurrection broke sin’s power--eternal death
Romans 6:9 We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him.
John 11:25 I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.
I Corinthians 15:56-57- 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.